Thursday, May 26, 2011

Something Important Has Been Lost...

Let us compare how people expressed their baser instincts, contrasting the 11th-13th centuries and the 20th-21st centuries, via Carl Orff's opera 'Carmina Burana' (in translations from the original Latin)

Hedonism, 11th-13th Century - Estuans interius (Burning Inside)
I travel the broad path
as is the way of youth,
I give myself to vice,
unmindful of virtue,
I am eager for the pleasures of the flesh
more than for salvation,
my soul is dead,
so I shall look after the flesh.

Hedonism, 20th Century - Me So Horny, by 2 Live Crew
Ahh! So horny!
Me so horny!
So horny!
Me love you long time!

Alcoholism, 11th-13th Century - In taberna quando sumus (When we are in the tavern)
When we are in the tavern
we do not think how we will go to dust,
but we hurry to gamble,
which always makes us sweat.
What happens in the tavern,
where money is host,
you may well ask,
and hear what I say.
Some gamble, some drink,
some behave loosely.
But of those who gamble,
some are stripped bare,
some win their clothes here,
some are dressed in sacks.
Here no-one fears death,
but they throw the dice in the name of Bacchus.

Alcoholism, 21st Century - Shots, byLMFAO and Lil Jon
Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots!Shots! Shots! Shots! 

Sometimes it's hard not to think that Mike Judge was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment